Wednesday, September 26, 2012

What Do You Expect From The Academy AT SOAR?




SOAR has a school? I thought they were a summer camp? Students really come to you for multiple semesters of school? For multiple years? Do your course credits transfer? These are just some of the comments/ questions that have come my way through the grapevine as this new school year begins. Once new and perspective parents realize SOAR is just as much a school as it is an adventure program, they have many many questions; questions I am more than happy to answer for each and every parent that graces our phone lines. For SOAR, and the Academy at SOAR is something that I believe in. It is a passion of mine. Yet I wonder why so many people know so little about what we do for students academically.

The teachers and I were meeting with one of our great parents yesterday, and it occurred to my teachers as well as myself that people really don't know what to expect from The Academy At SOAR. When I joined SOAR almost two years ago, I was told that historically parents and families have not chosen SOAR for the strength of its academics. SOAR has been around since the 70's and its forte up to recent day has been its adventure- based programming, and its emphasis on life skills, and for good reason, they are superb in this area. I understood that when parents get to the point where the traditional schools aren't cutting it, generally speaking, their concerns go much deeper than merely academics. As a parent myself, I want my children to be happy, well- adjusted, confident people, in all aspects of their lives, academics just being one. So I can understand that if a family is in crisis with their child, academics does, and should take a back seat to the child's overall well-being.

However, in my almost two years at SOAR, I have not spoken to one parent, past or present, that hasn't indicated that strong academics are a huge part of what they are looking for in a program for their child. All parents want their children to learn and grow, and not only not fall farther behind, but they want their children to excel. It's what I want for my kids. It's logical.

And why shouldn't you expect rigor and the highest quality differentiated academic education for your child here at SOAR? That would make it the complete package. Anything less would sort of be like only giving you... well how can I put this?...

A little less than the real deal?

Do I really need to say it?


For once I feel I don't have just the words to express it, so you know how they say what a picture is worth? We don't want to give you anything close to the photo depictions above. If we do, we are really doing something like this:


Aren't we?

So we are working on our marketing, and with the help of Aaron, our math and science guy, who has also been in business for years. We are revamping our Academy at SOAR website to more accurately reflect who we are and what we do, and can do for your kids. We haven't been guilty of any false advertising, but rather simply not advertising enough of who we are and what we do.

So you are still saying at this point, " Ok, Mike.I like the metaphors, and the "half-assed" picture did make me chuckle, but what can I really expect from The Academy at SOAR?" Well I am sure there is a clever way for me to say it, but I know, you want the goods. I know, "Just tell me what is behind academic door # 2." So I will lay it down for you:

This summer, I was trying to state as clearly and concisely as I could, what our mission as a school is, and this is what I came up with:



Academy at SOAR Academic Constitution

·         We, as an academic staff will maintain positive and frequent communication with our major stakeholders, the parents. 

·         We, as an academic staff will generate quality curricula/ lessons which address the needs of our students individually via differentiation, as well as address the standards from  the North Carolina Standard Course of study and the National Core Curriculum. This way, no matter where you come from in the United States or the world, you will get what you need at SOAR.

·         We, as an academic staff at SOAR will be certified in the areas in which we teach, and do whatever is necessary to retain certification/ licensure. 

      We , as an academic staff, will seek and participate in professional development to improve teaching practices as well as to retain certification.

·         We, the academic staff, will set up a schedule to conference individually with each student during every base phase to review and set benchmarks for attaining established academic goals. 

·         We, the academic staff, will design assessments for our instruction ( tests, quizzes, assignments with rubrics, work samples) to closely monitor, and adjust the effectiveness of our instruction.

·         We, the academic staff, will keep a grade book record of student grades, and strengths and weaknesses for the purpose of mid- semester, and end of semester reports, and to be able to converse with parents and other stakeholders as necessary.

·         We, the academic staff, will participate in a new teacher evaluation process to ensure continuous growth and development, and an openness to grow through collaboration.

·         We, the academic staff will meet with field instructors regularly and base instructors as needed to make sure that we are all working together toward the common goal of student growth and achievement.

·         We, the academic staff, will meet weekly for at least an hour, to discuss  needs, celebrate successes, and share/ disseminate information, so that we are working together as a team, in the best interest of students. 

·         We, the academic staff will seek to plan and implement instruction that is experiential, hands on and engaging to every extent possible.

·         We will begin to embrace the philosophy of Project Based Learning, as it is a hands on way for us to begin to truly have an integrated curriculum.

·         We, the academic staff will save our lessons via the electronic drop box, so that lessons can be re-utilized and modified, so that we can continue to develop a physical curriculum.

·         We, the academic staff, will emphasize the executive functioning skills that allow students to be successful in school, in addition to just core academics.

·         We, the academic staff will embody the acronym SOAR, which stands for Success Oriented Achievement Realized, in everything we do with and for our students.

S    So, you can expect that, and a whole lot more, as we are a work in progress seeking nothing less than excellence that rivals our competitors, and a program that is comparable in quality to our holistic adventure- based program.

      Look for our updated website at www.academyatsoar.org. It isn't up and live yet but we'll let you know when it is. It will be your one-stop source for all things having to do with the Academy.    
 
      In the meantime, as always, we are here for you just as much as we are here for your kids, and as I truly believe, the only stupid question is the one that remains unasked.

      Should you expect anything less from SOAR? I think not.







No comments:

Post a Comment