Sunday, November 4, 2012

What to Expect When You're Expecting... Results


 
As a SOAR and an Academy at SOAR parent, you want it all. This year I am thrilled to say I have heard from many pleased parents, who have told us their child loves school and learning for the first time, and that their kids feel successful.

 

However, there have been some parents I've spoken to lately who I feel we haven't met their expectations with their children's academics. I take the blame for that. In my efforts to please the client and meet everyone's needs, I've become a little less than real, and I need to be a little more upfront about what we do and can't do, for good reasons.  Perhaps I haven't been perfectly clear.

 

The Academy at SOAR is not an ordinary school. It is an extrordinary school. The Academics are important and they are strong. But the academics are not what makes SOAR and The Academy special. Strange as it sounds coming from the Academic Director, academics are not the most important part.

 

It is everything else that SOAR gives kids besides traditional academics that makes S0AR  special.

 

Yes, we've gained a reputation that precedes us, which is why perhaps people come to SOAR and the academy expecting to pick their child's education off a menu of what they want in a perfect world. Even at SOAR it doesn't work quite like that.

 

Here's how it works. I don't tell you how it works because I have decreed it, for I have only been at SOAR for a mere two years.

 

SOAR is what it is, because their are student needs not being fulfilled by traditional schools, whether they be public or private.

 

SOAR is what it is, because traditional methods of traditional instruction delivered in traditional ways, with traditional measures to show for it don't work with non- traditional students.

 

I'm not saying that doing what has always been done and expecting miraculous results is the defition of insanity. It is just time for a reality check, for myself included. We can't bt definition of who we are do things the way they have traditionally been done. Otherwise, what option would that really provide your kids.

 

So what can you expect? You may have to strap yourself in for an expectation shift.
 

 
 

 

Traditional schools are traditional results oriented, where the measure of success is a product, usually a test score. I've had parents tell me what their children have done at" other" schools, thereby implying, or stating directly what they expect to see coming from their child at SOAR. Well, I will say again, that is not how it works.I mean no disrespect when I say this.  We don't define success in merely traditional senses. That is not to say we don't have high standards for student academics. When a parent tells me what there child accomplished at "another school" implying that we are in some way missing the mark, I want to say to them, "and now you are at The Academy at SOAR, so how did that other school work for ya?" But I don't, because that would be too blunt.

 

Kids,students come to SOAR for no other reason than things didn't work out where they came from. So why, logically, would we do things at SOAR, the way the schools they came from did it?
 


 Do I need to say it?

Now I know that SOAR parents want their child to not get behind in school, stay on track for graduation, and gain the skills necessary to be successful now and in the future, wherever they are headed. Parents want to know their child is going to get the credits they need. I don't fault parents for that, and I don't say that isn't one of our goals with your child. It is but "one" of the goals.

 

 At SOAR, we are Process oriented, and "Success Oriented" as much as Product oriented. We are charged with the task of meeting the need of the whole child, something traditional school environments don't always seem so concerned with.

 

At SOAR we have the flexibility, the skills and resources to meet ALL our students, YOUR CHILD'S needs. That means, however, that we have a much bigger job to do, and the same ole' 24 hours a day to do it. So sometimes we have to prioritize. And our priorities aren't always the same as your traditional schools...what you're used to.

 

But, I reitterate, isn't that why you picked SOAR when you found SOAR? Because we offered something different.

 

Case and Point. On expedition in DC last night, our team had nightly meeting which involved highlights from the day, pluses and deltas (things we did good and things we could do better) among other processing activities. As the academic guy, I've provided not only the plans but the implementation of the academics this expedition. We were going to work into nightly meeting a processing of prompts responded to, reflections of things learned and experience not to forget from our expedition logs.

 

(Expedition logs are a personal journal or diary of sorts, where students write, not specifically for a grade, but to reflect and gather written snapshots of their adventures- an component of project- based learning)

 

The team had some interpersonal issues. They had some conflicts that they needed to work through and it got heated. I decided fairly quickly that I was tossing academics (I.e. Expedition logs) out the window for the evening. Your kids were working through some social and team issues that were more primary needs.It's along the same lines as kids not being able to do their best work if they haven't had a good nutritious meal.If we don't nourish the soul, the mind can't do its best on academics. A traditional school doesn't do that.

 

I had another student on another day whose parents expected to see more high quality writing samples from their student. This student had been writing quite well in his expedition log. This student was demonstrating the ability to be a strong leader within his team. Verbally, he was demonstrating that he is as sharp as they come. He wasn't writing the 5 paragraph essay on a weekly basis yet. The parent was concerned. How can I help this parent to understand that what their child is gaining both in school and out of school is so much more valuable than a perfect essay a week. I understand. When you're not with your child everyday, work products are all you have to judge the quality of their education. That, and my word.

 

There was another parent with a similar concern. Their child did not have writing samples of a multi-paragraph essay. This student struggled with handwriting and was becoming more and more willing to word process. I was working on praising the " successive approximations" of the eventual goal of that multi-paragraph paper, but the student wasn't there yet. And that was ok. This particular student was growing socially within the team and the academic setting, was doing his work, and participating wonderfully in class. Something he didn't do at the beginning. Another example of how the success or lack-there-of is being measured traditionally, when a SOAR education doesn't fit the traditional mold. Again, when you're not with your child everyday, work products are all you have to judge the quality of their education. That, and my word.

 

So what is my message here? I have seen, in just a short time at SOAR as the Academic Director for The Academy at SOAR how SOAR changes kids lives in ways that go so far beyond academics it's not even funny. Academics are important, and we are doing them better than ever before.

 

This is what I ask. Trust us. But don't simply take my word for anything. Call me. Email me. Ask me questions. Ask any of us questions. Grill us. Stay connected.
 
 

 

Know that if you don't get the answer from us that you would expect from a traditional school, or the results you would expect from a traditional school, in a perfect world with your child, that it is not bad, or deficient, just different. On the contrary, a SOAR education is so much more than a traditional school could hope to give a child. We are all very proud of that.

 

So the results you can expect, may be easy to see on paper at times, but much of the time they won't be evident until you talk to your child, or see them in person at the end of the semester. They are results that are life changing. They are results that will last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment