Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Difference We Make (Those who can do more...well, they teach)

Have I told you lately
About the Difference You Make in my Life
Have I?
How You're always there and you always care
In My Life, Have I?
Even though I may not always show
I just wanted you to know. that
Even though I haven't told you
You Make a Difference In My Life

 

The year was 1993, give or take.

I had been teaching about 3 years, give or take.

I had been an aspiring piano player and songwriter for most of my youth.

Three years into the profession, I realized I certainly wasn't a natural, as a teacher that is. I also wasn't sure that I hadn't wasted four years of my life on a college education. Honestly, I went into education because I enjoyed working with kids, not because I loved school. I went into special education, because I wanted to help kids with challenges, similar to some of the challenges I grew up with.

During this period, starting at about teaching year 3, I questioned everything about who and what I was. Special Education, at least the first few years in, proved to be a little more than pushing papers for the bureaucrats, and teaching kids if there was any more time left, after the paperwork looked pretty.

It was about at this time that my path crossed with Diane Catterall, the school's choir teacher. She happened to be looking for an accompanyist, and I was looking for some meaning in my life. I wasn't a great pianist, but at that point in my life, I had a passion for music and for songwriting. It was something I was recognized for, and it made me feel good about myself. After a couple concerts playing little diddys that " someone" came up with, I thought to myself, " This school needs a school song... a decent school song." So I set upon my task of writing the next school song.

What evolved, turned out to be a tribute to the teachers I worked with, to my stepfather, and educator and a role model who inspired me. What evolved, turned out to be, in retrospect, 20 years later, an affirmation to myself, for myself, that teaching is about so much more than academics:

Readin' Writin' and arithmetic
You Think That's All You do
Savin' Children
Turnin' Lives around
Though no one ever knew
Yes, you are the heroes
You're the ones behind the scene
You are the heroes
On Your shoulders we can lean
You're an example
of what I'd like to be
Teacher you're a hero to me.

What I created, turned out to be a story, told from the perspective of a student to his or her teacher, about the difference that teacher made in the child's life, that went far beyond what a teacher could give a student from any book.

Interestingly, when I now think back to the teacher who made a difference in my life, in fact, it wasn't her academic skill that I will always remember. It certainly wasn't her remarkable ability to get me to understand Geometry, for that would have taken a miracle. What I will always remember about Mrs. Schmidt, my 9th and 10th grade math teacher, was that she cared enough to stay after school and give me extra help, for days, for weeks. What I will always remember about Mrs. Schmidt, was how she came up to me after I had gotten a 32 ( out of 100) on the geometry Regents exam, she gave me a big hug, and said, " Mike. Anyone else, I would say we knuckle down and study and re-take that exam. Honestly, Mike, I don't think you're going to do any better." The investment Mrs. Schmidt had in me went beyond mathematics, and academic achievement. Mrs. Schmidt believed in and cared about me.

Only 3 years into teaching, my song  was foreshadowing of what my career would prove to be, in the lives of kids, that I wouldn't start to recognize until years later.

There was Brian, a middle school student I taught during year two of my career, that I caught up with on Facebook 20 years later as an adult, with a wife, and baby on the way.

Hey Mr. Lefko, man its been forever. I never thought I'd ever hear from you again, and here you are. wow! Similar to what you said there are very few teachers that stand out in my mind. But you made a lasting impression. If every teacher I had would have been as dedicated and as caring as you school would have been a whole lot easier. You proved that it was possible to be a teacher and a friend. And that learning was actually fun. After I left Garner Middle I went to Garner senior High and did two years there barly passing because I felt it was more Important to make people laugh then to learn. Then I moved to Wisconsin with my mom and continued school there. After about two years of freezing my ass off I decided to come back to North Carolina. When I moved back Here I got and apt. and started taking some classes at Wake Tech. Then at about 20 I met a girl and got Married we stayed together for about 11 years and then parted ways. We tried to make things work but from the time we got married to the time we split we were two completely different people. We didn't have any children but we did have a house. With a little luck and lots of money I was able to keep the house. Anyway I picked up the pieces and kept going. And along the way I did some soul searching and tried to figure out who I was. I believe I'm closer to knowing that now than I ever was in the past. And I met a great girl who is truly wonderful and in a lot of ways just like me. We don't have any children yet but can't wait to have some. As far as work goes I worked in the bottled water business doing many different jobs for 8 years. Then I wanted a change and managed a furniture store for 5 years. Then the store went out of business and I went back to working at a bottled water company as a route driver.This is not what I want to do forever but it pays the bills. I lost touch with many of my old friends from school but there are few here on facebook. Duke is one of them and I think there may be one or two more. Well I hope that gave you a little glimse into my life. Its been really cool catching up with you. If your ever going to be Raleigh let me know so we can have lunch or somthing. ttyl. Your buddy, Brian

So, in spite of the fact that at year two I knew absolutely nothing about teaching, I made a lasting impression on Brian. I'd like to think that I had a little to do with making his journey a little bit more fun, and school a little bit more hopeful.

There was Ricco. I actually heard from Ricco out of the blue, also on Facebook, a few months ago. I had taught him back in 1st grade, back in 93. He, too, is now an adult.

Hey Mr Lefko im been doing good over the years i finish school i even went back to school to build houses and i

finish that now im in college now doing very well still shy but alot better. You was the best teacher i ever had ever

now as i grow up you was the best you never look down on me i hope the kids you are working with see how

wonderful you are and see that they got a great teacher and friend. Got alot of respect and love for you, be great

like you are and get back at me when you can.
 
I was the "best teacher" he " ever had". Interestingly two students, from two totally different schools, from two very different backgrounds called me "a great teacher and a friend". I certainly didn't think I was a great teacher, academically speaking. Even today, after 20 + years under my belt, I consider myself decent, and I have to work damn hard at it. I believe I am making differences in the lives of young people, but I believe it goes beyond simply skills.
 
So perhaps there is more to being a good teacher than providing strong academics? Not that academics aren't important. Perhaps there is more to a memorable, transformative educational experience than can be conveyed through a textbook.
 
Readin' Writin' and arithmetic
Just part of what you do
buildin' the future
each child's hand you take
I bet you never knew.
 
This blog entry is dedicated to all the teachers I have known and worked with past and present, who have given more of themselves, than simply knowledge, to a child.
It is also dedicated to the talented campus and field instructors at SOAR, who prove every day, that you don't have to be trained as a teacher, to help children grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment